Je pense, donc je suis; "I think, therefore I am"
René Descartes, a 17th century French philosopher, mathematician, and scientist. Dubbed the father of modern Western philosophy, Descartes left us a number of profound sayings. While the one above is most famous, here are a few other inspiring quotes:
- It is not enough to have a good mind. The main thing is to use it well.
- An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
- Doubt is the origin of wisdom.
- Divide each difficulty into as many parts as is feasible and necessary to resolve it.
- The only thing that I know, is that I know nothing.
The visual accompany Descartes’ quote was selected from a Paris Metro experience. Instead of babbling about why he needed money, this man read in a strong voice from Descartes’ essay on equality, a rather ironically choice, don't you agree?