This is a family recipe created by my mother, Helen Palanci, which I’ve slightly adapted to fit my taste.
1/3 pound each of ground pork, veal and beef (Mom called for 1 # ground beef)
12 crackers, crushed
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons ketchup
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
2 teaspoons Herbes de Provence
T Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 small onion, finely minced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
¼ cup green or red pepper, finely minced
Salt and Pepper
Optional: 2-3 strips bacon or sautéed mushrooms
1. Preheat the oven to 350⁰ F.
2. Beat egg in a large bowl.
3. Add cracker crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, Herbes de Provence, onion, garlic and pepper. Mix well.
4. Add meat, salt and pepper. Mix together all ingredients with your hands.
5. Shape into a loaf making a small indention in the middle to hold sautéed mushrooms.
6. If using, top with slices of bacon.
7. Put into a greased pan.
8. Cook for one hour.
9. Remove from oven and top with sautéed mushroom, if using.
10. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Wine recommendation: Sokol Blosser Pinot Noir from Oregon or any American Pinot Noir.