Adapted from a family recipe by my cousin, Linda Butler
8 medium-sized Yukon Gold potatoes
½ cup diced onions
¼ cup sweet butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 cups milk
8 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, grated (The original receipe called for American cheese but I prefere something heartier in flavor…..and a real cheese!)
Preheat oven to 350⁰ F
1. Generously butter a 9 X 13-inch baking dish.
2. Peel the potatoes and slice thinly using a Mandolin slicer, 1/8- inch thick.
3. Put sliced potatoes into a 3-quart sauce pan and cook about 10 minutes until almost done.
4. Drain and put into the casserole.
5. Sauté the onions in a small pan and set aside.
6. Make the cheese sauce. Add the butter to the sauce pan and melt.
7. Add flour and stir allowing it to fully integrate and become smooth and bubbly, around 5 minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper, as needed.
9. Remove from heat and slowing add the milk. Stir with a whisk to make sure flour is fully integrated.
10. Return to heat and boil for several minutes, stirring constantly.
11. Remove from heat and stir in grated cheese until melted.
12. Add the onions and stir.
13. Pour over potatoes and gently stir through with a thin spatula.
14. Bake for 30 minutes until and sauce is bubbly and the top golden brown.
Wine suggestion: Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Beaujolais or Tempranillo