Fresh Pea Gazpacho
2 ½ cups shelled fresh peas (frozen works beautifully too!)
1 leek, sliced thinly, white part only
2 ¼ cups cold homemade vegetable broth (or ice water)
1 ½ cups chopped, peeled English cucumber (or regular cucumber with seeds removed)
1 cup French bread cut into cubes
6 Tablespoons EVO (this will be use for multiple applications)
1 ½ Tablespoons sherry vinegar (or lemon juice)
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh mint, finely chopped
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
¾ cup crab meat
6 branches of mint, ideally with a flowering tip
2 Tablespoons of EVO
1. Cook the peas in lightly salted water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and set aside until cool.
2. Keep ½ cup of peas for garnish.
3. Sauté leeks in a little EVO for three minutes so they caramelize. Keep at a low heat so they do not burn. Add ½ cup water and finish cooking, an addition 2-3 minutes until liquid has evaporated.
4. Put remaining peas, stock, cucumbers, bread cubes, EVO, vinegar and sautéed leek, tarragon and mint in a blender or Cuisinart.
5. Process until smooth.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste.
7. Divide soup evenly among six bowls.
8. Garnish with flaked crab meat, a scattering of peas and mint stalk
9. Drizzle with EVO
Wine Recommendations: Rosé de Provence, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Bianco or white Bordeaux blend.