½ cup pecan halves
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
5 Tablespoons unsalted butter cut into ½-inch pieces
½ pound sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
2 Tablespoons freshly grated Romano cheese
1 large egg yolk
Preheat oven to 350⁰ F.
1. Spread the pecans on a baking sheet and toast for 7 minutes, or until fragrant. Let cool slightly before chopping finely.
2. In a food processor, combine the flour, salt and cayenne. Blend thoroughly.
3. Add butter and blend until it resembles coarse meal.
4. Add both cheese and blend until combined: the dough should look crumbly at this point.
5. Remove from processer and press dough into one large ball.
6. Cut in half, form a two balls then shape into a long log, 2-inches in diameter.
7. Roll in chopped nuts.
8. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, at least two hours, or overnight.
9. Preheat oven to 400 ⁰F.
10. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mat.
11. Cut logs into ¼ inch slices and arrange 1-inch apart on the baking sheets.
12. Bake in the oven for 9 minutes, switching the pans halfway through the baking, until coins re evenly golden.
13. Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 days. Or, freeze for to a month and use for last minute surprise guest visits. Allow cheese coins to come to room temperature before serving.
Makes about 100 coins
Wine recommendations: Sauvignon Blanc, Vouvray, and Rosé made from any grape!