3 cups sliced peaches (nectarines work well, too)
2 Tablespoons orange juice
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
For the crumble:
¼ cup melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cups quick cooking oats
¼ cup diced nuts, (almonds, pistachios or pecans)
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
Preheat oven to 375⁰ F
1. Put peaches in a buttered 8-inch pie pan and sprinkle with orange juice to avoid fruit turning brown.
2. Sprinkle peaches with cinnamon.
3. For crumble topping, mix together the melted butter with the brown sugar.
4. Sift together all the dry ingredients: flour, salt and baking soda.
5. Add oats, nuts and grated lemon rind. Mix thoroughly.
6. Combined with the melted brown sugar and butter mixture. Working with your fingers, mix until it resembles coarse crumbs.
7. Evenly spread this mixture over the fruit.
8. Cook for 30-45 minutes or until golden brown
Serve with a dollop of crème fraîche, whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Makes 8-10 servings.