Lemon Ice Cream
I like to make my lemon ice cream very tart. To make it less so, use one less lemon.
6 small lemons, zested, then juiced (3/4 cup approximately)
¾ cups granulated sugar
1 ½ cup water
½ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Carefully wash exterior of lemons before zesting and juicing.
2. Add lemon zest, juice and sugar to water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook for three minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
3. Add mint leaves and allow to steep for three minutes.
4. Strain mixture and put in a container to cool off. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
5. Add heavy cream and stir thoroughly.
6. Pour into an ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions.
7. Serve alone, over a bed of stewed fruit (I made rhubarb) or add a splash of Limoncello. Add a mint leaf to decorate.
Serves: 8-10 servings